Re: [stella] EPROMs

Subject: Re: [stella] EPROMs
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 02:25:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Mark De Smet wrote:

> The letter mixed in there can lead you the programming voltage.  If
> talking about 2732's, there are generally 3 types, 2732, 2732A and 27C32.
> All three have different programming voltages.  2732 IIRC is 21.x V, 2732A
> is 12.5V, and I think 27C32 is also 12.5V, but not sure(I wouldn't tell a
> programmer that you have a 2732A if you are using a 27C32 though)

Hmm. The manual for my programmer (GTEK 7228, old as dirt I think), lists
a bunch of manufacturers, and which menu option to choose for them. My 2732's
are ST (SGS-Thompson) M2732AFI, which isn't listed in the manual. However,
M2732 and M2732A are both listed, and they use the same menu option. Also the
chips have `21V FAST' printed on them. I've been told that you can't permanently
damage an EPROM by using too low of a programming voltage, so I will probably
try 12.5 volts if I can figure out how. All you really get to do is choose a
part number from a menu, which selects appropriate voltage, timing, and
whatever else, for that chip type, but I don't see a way to tweak individual
parameters.

> voltage above that rated for the eprom.  Unless your programmer is very
> old, it should be able to handle all of the above types, with the
> appropriate setting.  Usually via the pc(either through pc program, or

This thing looks pretty old. However, I got a great deal ($20) and a
pretty large supply of 2716's, so once I get one of those programmed, I'll
be ready to try one of the bigger chips. When writing a 2600 program for a
2K EPROM, I assume the 2K gets mapped to $F800-$FFFF? I was thinking of
writing a small demo in 2K, so when I do get a cartridge board built, I
won't blow up a good EPROM if I wire it wrong or whatever.

> Hope that helps,
> Mark

It does. Thanks.

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-