Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie

Subject: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:38:43 +0100
Ben Larson wrote:
> Anyway, like I said, I don't really know what the
> standard player graphic-loading methods are.  Right
> now I'm just wondering if this is a viable (albeit
> wasteful) method.  I think it is, but I need some
> insight...

Your idea will work and should be very fast, but it wastes a lot of ROM
to store the data with those additional zero bytes needed.

The fastest (non illegal opcode) version I know, looks like this:

    TYA                 ;2   Y contains the kernel line counter (i.E. 191..0)
    SEC                 ;2   if carry is already known, this can be removed
    SBC SpriteStart     ;3   contains the line where the graphic starts+1
    ADC #SPRITEHEIGHT   ;2   assuming the height is constant (i.E. 6)
    BCC .skipDraw       ;2/3
    LDA (GfxPtr),Y      ;5
    STA GRPx            ;3
.skipDraw:              ;  = 19/12 (or 17/10)

If you are willing to use an illegal opcode, the two SEC cycles can be
totally removed:

    LDA #SPRITEHEIGHT-1 ;2   assuming the height is constant (i.E. 6)
    DCP SpriteEnd       ;5   illegal opcode, see below
    BCC .skipDraw       ;2/3
    LDA (GfxPtr),Y      ;5
    STA GRPx            ;3
.skipDraw:              ;  = 17/10

(DCP SpriteEnd == DEC SpriteEnd, CMP SpriteEnd)

So when your sprite is 6 pixels tall and shall start at line 45, then
you initialize SpriteEnd with 50 (45+6-1). With each line, SpriteEnd
will be decreased.

The result of the following compare will be:
50..6: 5 (SPRITEHEIGHT-1) is smaller than SpriteEnd -> carry = 0 -> .skipDraw
 5..0: 5 is bigger than/equal to SpriteEnd          -> carry = 1 -> draw!
255..: 5 is smaller than SpriteEnd                  -> carry = 0 -> .skipDraw

In both cases, GFxPtr has to point at the data where the graphics are
stored, minus the Y value of the line where the player shall be
displayed.

I'm quite sure, that's (in most cases) the optimal way, but someone may
prove that I'm wrong.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |