[stella] PAL Sound Conversion

Subject: [stella] PAL Sound Conversion
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 22:59:54 -0600
I'm trying to make a PAL version of the Synthcart. The colors are not a problem. The main problem is the pitch and tempo.

The tempo is calculated by counting TV frames. For example, one setting is that a beat occurs every 3 frames. My understanding is that even if I leave it at 262 lines, the tempo will be different because the clock runs at a slightly different speed. By my calculation, a TV frame of 262 lines will take 16841 microseconds on a PAL system (vs 16686 on NTSC.) If this is correct, I should be able to calculate the tempos fairly accurately.

And I'm stumped on the pitch. Is there a PAL sound chart somewhere? I don't plan on changing the note tables, but I'd like to accurately document the key/tuning of the note tables I use.

-Paul