RE: [stella] Higher Resolution through Interlacing

Subject: RE: [stella] Higher Resolution through Interlacing
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 00:46:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Billy Eno wrote:

> Interesting background on how TV's actually work.  I certainly was unaware.
> It would be pretty easy to write a demo to see if it worked (I think), and I
> may try.  But, if a TV interlaces two succesive Atari 2600 "frames" to
> create an image, how would you (or the TV)know if the first frame was an
> "odd" (to the TV) or an "even" (to the TV).  If the you didn't start with
> the correct frame, likely the graphics wouldn't look right.

The 2 fields should properly look like this:

********************              xxxxxxxxxx
********************    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
********************    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
********************    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
********************    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
********************    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
**********              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     field 0                  field 1

Notice that field 1 starts in midline, just where field 0 left off.  And
field 0 starts at the beginning of the line, where field 1 left off.
If you draw these 2 fields sequentially, you see how the lines get
interlaced.  Remember that the lines are actually drawn diagonally,
because the electron beam moves downward at a constant rate.  It's hard
to draw in text, but I'll try.  Heres a display with 2.5 lines per field,
or 5 lines per frame: (again, "*" represents field 0 and "x" represents
field 1)

*  x
 *  x
  *  x