Re: [stella] Higher Resolution through Interlacing

Subject: Re: [stella] Higher Resolution through Interlacing
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:44:27 -0700
At 11:00 PM 6/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:
Andrew,

This is exactly what I was doing with my interlacing tests quite a while
back.  There were some issues to work out, but it was mostly working.
I was getting my video card to sync to the interlaced signal.  And I was
able to merge a red field with a blue field to get purple (just super-
imposed, not interlaced interlaced).  I forget what issues were still to
be solved.  I think one thing that sync was still a bit flakey. But the
biggest thing was a lack of time on my part.

Somebody has to perfect this and post a proof of concept.

This could have great potential as a sprite multiplexer ala Video Chess or Polo or Stellar Track. However, 1-field tall interlaced sprites would flicker. Not due to the 2600, but due to the nature of interlaced video. So in a way it's two steps forward and one step back.

An even better advantage I can think of would be TIMING.

If you wanted to do a normal sort of kernel, but used an interlaced display, you'd have an extra scanline available to work with.

This could come in handy for mixing playfield with sprite routines like in Death Derby. However, you'd have to sacrifice framerate. And since the extra field is built after the first you can't leverage the latched TIA registers since adjacent scanlines are no longer built one immediately after the other but are rather 1/60th of a second apart.

It would be an entirely new way to write kernels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/