Re: [stella] Radial Pong

Subject: Re: [stella] Radial Pong
From: Jeff Johnston <jeffryj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:23:05 -0700 (MST)
The score code I'm using is straight out of the 2600 game "Combat".  You
can find the source to Combat in the Stella archives.  Maybe I shouldn't
use it in my game as-is...  I could probably change it so that it
generates the graphics during vblank or overscan then reads them from
memory, but my understanding is that you copyright the feel of the game,
but if you want to protect a certain routine you have to get a software
patent.  I'm no laywer though, so that could be way off.

In any case, I don't mind you guys using things out of my code.  It is
(hopefully) well commented and useful.  I know I wouldn't have gotten this
far without the more-pfg demo on The Dig.  My first try looks a lot like
it because I combined it with several other demos (I remember using
another demo because of the cool way they read the joystick).  The radial
paddles, bouncing, line drawing, and the kernel (besides the score), are
my creations though.  Have fun with 'em.

I personalized some of the equate names so that I could remember them when
I was first getting started.  It helped me get started faster, because
they made more sense to me (all the resets together, horizontal motion,
the timers).  I could probably change some of them back now as I'm used to
seeing the weird versions.  I still like HBLANK better than WSYNC tho. :)

calamari