Re: [stella] Paddles

Subject: Re: [stella] Paddles
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:16:14 +0200
calamari wrote:
> Found out the problem with the flickering (EQU overlap problem), but I'm
> still curious if this is the current way of doing paddles.

Your way is the most straightforward one. But it uses some more cycles than an optimized version would do. If you are running out of cycles *and* you have a loop counter inside a register, you can do this:

    lda   INPT0
    bmi   .charge0
    sty   pot0      ; assuming Y contains the loop counter
.charge0:

That saves you three cycles.

If you want two more cycles, have a look at the advanced paddle code I suggested to Paul for Marble Craze:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/200207/msg00025.html

BTW: WSYNC only needs 3 cycles (not 5, I'm still making this mistake sometimes), so that suggestion only saves 2 cycles.

Have?fun!
Thomas
Thomas?Jentzsch?????????|?***?Every?bit?is?sacred?!?***
tjentzsch?at?web?dot?de?|

WEB.DE MyPage - Ohne Computerkenntnisse in nur 5 Minuten online! Alles
inklusive! Kinderleicht!  http://www.das.ist.aber.ne.lustige.sache.ms/