Re: [stella] ET is Pretty

Subject: Re: [stella] ET is Pretty
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 15:57:54 -0700

Here's my guess (reminder: 'tis the guess of a newbie extraordinaire)
It seems to me that you could use the playfield graphics, create nothing but
a solid block for the playfield data, then by enabling and disabling the
PF0, PF1, PF2 reg's you could literally "chisle" away at the block and make
something nice. Of course this would take excellent cycle counting and
whatnot to know when to enable and disable the PF registers as the beam
moved across the screen.
<<

I think that's what the title screen for Marble Craze does, being a mixture of playfield and sprites that smooth out the jaggies. It's a really neat trick but only works for certain shapes.

Most title screens are narrower and use just sprites (the six char score routine) pulling unique data for each sprite instance and each line from ROM.