RE: [stella] Star Fire - Return of the Starfield ?!?

Subject: RE: [stella] Star Fire - Return of the Starfield ?!?
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 21 Jul 2002 20:43:14 -0000
> They're not *really* stars, but just a projection by the computer onto your
> viewscreen to give you a visual indicator of your ship's relative velocity.

Heehee, sounds like you've been a "Sci Fi Apologist" at somepoint,
where you try to explain certain scifi effects and quirks in ways
better than "'cause it looks cooler that way".

"But there's no sound in space!"
  "The ships scan local space and 'make up' a sound, playing that on
   speakers inside the cockpit, allowing
   the pilots to get a gut feeling for enemy ship's location!"
"But you can't *see* lasers unless they hit...and you could never
 duck a laserbolt!"
  "Errr...those aren't really lasers, they're actually some kind
  of physical slug...made extra visible to help with aiming!"
"All these ships are right sideup when they meet anywhere
 in the galaxy!"
  "Err, by convention, all ships travel the same orientation
  relative to the clockwise spin of the galactic disk..."
"But the fighters bank turn like they were in the atmosphere"
  "Shut up!"

Anyway, PlayerPal the Player Graphic generator can now
read in most forms of player binary diary data from
source code cut and pasted into it:

http://alienbill.com/vgames/playerpal/playerpal.html

PlayfieldPal should be getting the same treatment,
but it's been a lot more of a pain to put this together
than I exptected, because I wanted to do stuff like preserve
DASM addresslabels, handle hex data as well as binary, etc etc.

'The last man on Earth sat alone in a room.
 There was a knock at the door...'
              the shortest SF-story ever, by Fredric Brown.