Re: [stella] Skeleton - a new game

Subject: Re: [stella] Skeleton - a new game
From: "Eric Ball" <eball@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:22:54 -0400
Thomas Jentzsch wrote:
> First I thought you where joking about the skeletons, but after
> some minutes I finally discovered one. It looked really nice. I
> hope that there will be a few more in the final game. ;-)

Fortunately or unfortunately there is only one skeleton in the maze with
you at a time.  However, each time you eliminate one, the next is a little
stronger.

> How will the gameplay be, will the skeletons chase you or will
> you chase them? Or will it be more Pac Man like, or...???

Hunter or hunted?  Both.  You have but one life, and there are many
skeletons to eliminate.  And they will get more difficult, requiring more
shots to kill.

> And I have a question about the mazes. Are (or will) you
> generate them or will they be hardcoded?

I'm using a QBasic program of my own devising to generate the eight mazes
which are hardcoded into the game.  Before I consider the game final, I
want to generate all new mazes, and not all of them with as many branches
as the ones in the current release.

> I'm asking, because I'm currently working on a quite simple
> maze algorithm for Robot City and if you need any help...

Thanks, but my mazes have some unique properties, and the generation
program was designed to take them into account.  (That will make more sense
when the source code is released.)

> Have fun!
I haven't had this much fun in a long, long while.  The 2600 is a challenge
to program, but there is something about meeting that challenge head on.