Re: [stella] More flicker, please

Subject: Re: [stella] More flicker, please
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 19:12:16 +0200
Manuel wrote:
>I can see this. The difference between 60<->30Hz is less
>than the difference between 30<->20Hz.
>
>But I'm not sure wether I should like that general
>flicker approach or not. Right now I'd prefer reducing
>flicker situations at best, instead of going the SW-TAG
>way.

I think constant 50% flicker is hardly noticable, the objects
only get a bit darker. Or do you notice that all tanks, the
tank missiles and the helicopter flicker in Robot City (I don't
mean the animation!).

>Left/Right: I don't like what these would cost.

- All they would need are some additional AND inside the kernel
to mask the wrapping bits. Right? Is the reflection the problem
here?
- Or use the trick with all HMOVE-blanks on the left side. They
would mask 8 bits.
- Or make two 8 pixel wide vertical borders using the PF (like
a cockpit window).
IMO all is better than ships poping out of nowhere.

>Top: I didn't get it going without a blind spot. There
>was always a vertical point where I wasn't able to
>display a sprite. I was only able to shift that blind
>spot, but didn't find a way to get rid of it. As I had
>it working yesterday it was consuming lot's of ROM (~100
>bytes) and cycles (~ 5 scannlines) and it still looked
>crappy, so I discarded that code again.

Hm, do you really want to leave it that way? Or should we try
to find a way together?

BTW: The orange ship seems to pop up very late (seen from the
top). I think there is a little bug in your code.

>Again economic reasons. (PF1 + PF2) * 64 lines * 8
>frames = 1024 bytes data only, without any source code
>overhead.

Ok, I see.

Have fun!
Thomas