[stella] Star Fire: Radar completed! Magical Mystery Bug Found!

Subject: [stella] Star Fire: Radar completed! Magical Mystery Bug Found!
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:16:35 +0200
Hi there!

I found the bug! It's still magical mystery to me:

Instead of

    LDA sprtsizetype,X
    AND #%00000110
    ORA #%00010000
    STA sprtsizetype,X

I did

    LDA sprtsizetype,X
    AND #00000110
    ORA #00010000
    STA sprtsizetype,X

While this clearly was the bug -

- I don't have the slightest clue what it's got to do
  with wether using RESBL or RESM0

- I don't have the slightest clue how this _ever_ worked
  at all with the old code

As long until I changed RESBL to RESM0, it perfectly did

    AND #%00000110
    ORA #%00010000

even though I had

    AND #00000110
    ORA #00010000

written in the code...

Beyond me, I'm sorry. But maybe it'll be a future hint
for others searching similar magical mystery bugs...

Hope you enjoy the look'n'feel of the radar, I consider
my work done for that part. Turned out nice I think.

Note: The mothership is not detected by radar, this is
intentional - it has a super secret stealth mode :-)

There's not enough cycles left to do something really
fancy on the side of the radar, but I've 18 scannlines
left, where I can possibly display the shield state any
way I want. Any ideas? Doing the old "shield bar" once
more, or something different this time? :-)

As for displaying the score, I decided to display it on
an extra screen between levels, like Christopher
suggested. I think I'll switch back in the other 4K bank
for that, missusing Thomas 6char routine :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel