Re: [stella] Hardware Problems

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware Problems
From: "Mark Graybill" <saundby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:08:22 -0800
My experience is that the console has more problems with stray capacitance
and inductance than in wire lengths themselves. Of course, longer wire
lengths increase the probabilities of such problems. But I've successfully
used extensions of about 8-10 inches of ribbon cable to reach ROM emulators
in the past. I've even run cables to ROMs on breadboards.

PCB extender boards are a _lot_ cleaner, however, in my experience.

For something like a flash cartridge my inclination would be to use a PCB
from a cart that has a ROM of the right configuration in it, and add an
inverter, as is typically done for a homebrew cart or a "burn and churn"
EPROM cart. To program the flash, my inclination would be to make an adapter
to fit the cartridge right to the programmer without removing the chip, or
to build a custom programming adapter for an I/O port. Another approach I'd
consider is making a new PCB to use small outline package devices for the
flash and the inverter.

An idea I've been toying with myself is that if I get some time away from
the other work I'm late in doing with the AVR microcontrollers is to make a
2600 cart based on one of these. They're flash-based, generally far cheaper
than ROMs and could be programmed to perform all sorts of memory tricks
totally transparently to the 6507. They could feed any program to the 2600
in a completely linear fashion, looping back through the memory map as
necessary, or they could emulate any of the bankswitch modes. For new games,
they could run off their own clock oscillator at a substantial multiple of
the 2600's speed and simply feed the 2600 drawing instructions during screen
drawing times while having time on their own to perform the logic functions
to determine what to draw.

An AVR cart for the 7800 provides even more extensive possibilities...

But first I've got "real" work to do... *grumble*
;)

-Mark G.