Re: [stella] An Alternative Distro Method For ROM Hacks (Patches)

Subject: Re: [stella] An Alternative Distro Method For ROM Hacks (Patches)
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:50:50 +0100
Christopher wrote:
>So, I started think about instead doing writing a utility that
would apply any modifications as a patch. And given the
controversy over Thomas' PAL2NTSC conversions I think this is
an idea worth exploring a little more...

I understand your legal reasons, but do you really think
another Randy will ever try to double-cross me or another
member of the community this way? ;-)

>This could include all types of patches; bugfixes (Kool-Aid
Man), tv format conversion, Supercharger conversion, graphic
hacks, whatever.

Coool idea!

>The downside is that creating a patch is going to be more work
than modifying a disassembled ROM directly (The procedure would
likely be to keep notes of all modifications and then reproduce
them in patch form) unless I can get clever and come up with a
tool that will create the patch automatically based on the
original and modified ROMs (Hmm, might be something to that...)
Obviously I'm still in the preliminary stages of this.

Yes, such a tool would be great. And might be useful for other
stuff too.

Have fun!
Thomas