Re: [stella] ROM image classifications

Subject: Re: [stella] ROM image classifications
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 04:51:25 -0800
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> Yeah, but hex is actually readable and hackable.  That might actually be
> useful if you wanted to fiddle with a ROM image whereas base64 is just
> gobblygook.  Of course, if people started doing that you'd need to
> re-evaluate the MD5 hash, another reason NOT to embed the rom image in the
> XML ;)

So maybe there are two issues here.  The database, and a new rom-image
format.  Maybe it's O.K. to start building the database and see how that
goes.  When it gets to the point of seeing how an emu might end up using
that database, we can figure that out later.  If it's human readable, then
it can't be too hard for an emu.  But we can use the database to make a new
rom image format if we want.  There's something I like about the idea of a
homebrew author being in control of their own information, and packaging
that information with the product.

John