Re: [stella] FE, 3F, Bankswitching, and Data lines

Subject: Re: [stella] FE, 3F, Bankswitching, and Data lines
From: mickey_m@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:38:09 +0000
Most bankswitching relies on A12 (cart select) so I have a small feedback
circuit that uses A12 and a delayed A12.  The delay is through a counter and
20MHz clock setup outside the CPLD.  What I am trying to do, is setup a gate
chain delay in the CPLD.  But, I couldnt figure out how to get it to work,
more on that below.  Once the circuit goes high then the address is valid and
I check to see if its what I want.  Data works the same.  The only reason I go
outside the chip is because I need the room on chip, and it will be easier to
switch to a chain delay once I figure it out.  The only reason I want a delay
chain is because the original carts did it without clock counting, I should
too.

For 3F and FE I go off an address line I know is going to be high or low when
the right address come in.  Like 3F, looks to A6 being off, because I guess
technically 3F's hotspot is 00 through 3F.

I am new to CPLDs and dont really know the ins and outs, so for two days I
tried to setup a chain delay and failed.  I cant get any delay what so ever
with a chain.  It took me a while to realize that the software was optimizing
my circuit and removing the chain gates because they have no effect on the
logic.  So I used the NOREDUCE attribute on the gates and I still get the same
thing.  Thinking that the chip is a magical no gate switch time chip, I looked
at the datasheet.  As far as I can tell, gates should have a 3ns switch time.
But all my post fit simulations show no delay.  I figured that since the
simulator has picosecond resolution that it would show something, nope.  I
even setup some circuits that were a cascade of gates from multiple inputs,
and there was no way to optimize the gates out, but still the same, magically
all gates switch the same time.  Unfortunately all I have to go on is the
simulator.  I dont have access to specialty tools to do circuit debugging to
see if there is any real delay.  I only have a Shack multimeter.  I have asked
Santa for many years for an osciliscope and a logic analyzer and others, but
he never brings them (I must be bad), maybe this year.

If anyone can help with this chain thing, please do.  I know this is possible,
it has to be.  I am to the point of thinking that if I run my car over it a
few times it just might start working the way I want it to.

And anyone know were I can get the real 2600 6502 datasheet.  The wait times I
got through trial and error because all the datasheets I found through google
have different values for 1MHz.  It wasnt real hard though, they seemed to be
all around the same area.

Vern