[stella] Combat AI

Subject: [stella] Combat AI
From: Zach Matley <matleyz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:24:48 -0800 (PST)
Hello Everyone,

I am Zach, a computer science grad student and a part-time programmer at
Digital Eclipse. It was Mike Mika who introduced me to Stella programming.

I am pleased to announce Combat AI. My classmate, Wen-Ying Chen, and I
have teamed up to make a 1-player Combat as a project for our artificial
intelligence class. So far, we are studying the Combat disassembly. I have
modified it enough so that the Atari drives one tank, but not
intelligently. (One could say I've implemented artificial stupidity.)

We realize that implementing an AI algorithm in a VCS is a serious
challenge, but we will give it a go. Mike's "Simple, Cheap Pathfinding"
given in the AI wisdom book looks like a good place to start.

Note to AtariAge hosts: We would appreciate holding off on a public
announcement until we've made more progress.

Zach
Wen-Ying