[stella] z26 for Windows

Subject: [stella] z26 for Windows
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 13:11:04 -0800
You can find a *sneak preview* here:

http://whimsey.com/z26beta

BTW, RTFM.  Things are a little bit different.

To do the port to Windows, a number of features have been removed, including
the GUI.  Although personally I rather enjoy doing a program for Windows
that acts more like a DOS program than a Windows program, I suppose
eventually we'll put one back in.  But we're curious about which features
that are currently missing are most important to you guys.

One feature that is not missing is the ability to synchronize a game with
the monitor.  It's no longer the default, partly because it's a nuisance to
run DXDIAG.EXE, and partly because I suppose that as digital flat panels get
better and better, the concept of refresh will eventually become obsolete.
I'm guessing that eventually screen updates will be so fast that the
flashing effects that Andrew is so fond of will be emulated perfectly
without needing any special attention.

But meanwhile, now that it's possible to get better emulation of these
flashing effects on Windows XP with old-fashioned monitors, I'm wondering if
we still need to do some tricky video mode that simulates phosphorescence?

John