Re: [stella] Emulator or Console?

Subject: Re: [stella] Emulator or Console?
From: Adam Thornton <adam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:23:12 -0600
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:31:09AM -0500, Matthew Ozor wrote:
> I did a search on eBay for a Cuttle Cart and there is one already up to
> $122. Anyway its nice to see that the scene is very active. Maybe after I
> get my feet wet I'll look into actually burning a EPROM..
>
> I found this site that sells assembled PCB's with a socket for only $14.95.
> http://www.sunmark.com/

That seems a little high.  On the other hand, for 4K carts I find it a
lot easier--really--to burn an EPROM than load it into the SC; since
there are PCB designs that will do large memory footprints, it's
probably just as easy to do those as it is to use a Cuttle Cart.  Once
you have a PCB and a ZIF socket on it, life is really easy.

That said, if someone makes a Cuttle Cart workalike, I'm *all over it*.
Although I'd really be more interested in a 2600-on-FPGA solution that
had an A/D converter or a serial port, and enough scratch memory that
you'd get CC-like functionality built in.

I know there's someone on the list, but I can't remember who, who makes
PCBs that will take up to 32K ROMs.  In fact, if you're reading this,
please get in touch with me, because I'm back off the road for a bit and
ready to buy.  I know you sent me email a few months ago, but it's now
backed up to offline storage because my mailbox got too large.

I use the Pocket Programmer II from Intronics, and it's a wonderful
tool.  About $150--which is very cheap for an EPROM burner--and burns a
whole lot of different EPROM types.

Adam