Re: [stella] DASM news

Subject: Re: [stella] DASM news
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:54:55 +1100
> One problem is, that AFAIK we still do not have a 100% reliable color
emulation. So before
> we call something eg. PURPLE_BLUE we should make sure, that it is not just
the color that is shown in the favouritve emulator but on the real TV. Any
volunteers?

That's not a problem, because if the programmer is using the conceptual
names, he won't care if the *actual* colour assigned to "BLUE" changes
slightly as we get a better idea of what "BLUE" actually *is*.  That's my
take on it, anyway.  If I use "BLUE" as my colour, then I don't care what it
displays, as long as it's as close to blue as possible, and if a 'better'
blue comes along later, that's fine - I don't have to change my code.

I don't think lack of exact colours should stop us making a first pass at
colour naming.
Maybe instead, we could use some macro (RGB) where you could give your
desired colour, and the macro would return the closest match, given the RGB
value and the system (PAL/NTSC).

That way, 'blue' could be macro'd to   RGB(0,0,255) which would in turn be
revectored to an actual colour value.

Cheers