Re: [stella] Brainstorming: 3D-Corridor

Subject: Re: [stella] Brainstorming: 3D-Corridor
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 02:37:14 +1100
> Are you per chance able to manually clean out the
> remaining noise in the tunnelcycle2 demo?
>
> Or if you'd tell me how to do it, I'd offer doing it to
> save you the work :-)

None of it is hand-optimised... the noise is introduced by colour-reduction
to 2 colours.  In short, yes it would be quite straightforward to clean out
the noise.  The technique is *exactly* the same as for the static tunnel
(that is, the non-rotating one), except the original image I used was
manipulated so that the actual colours themselves formed a spiral.  Consider
any 'ring' of the concentric circle.  Make it into 6 arcs, and colour those
arcs red, green, blue, red, green,blue.  Now shift out to the next ring.
Where you started with red, instead start with green.  So as you go out, the
colours in the rings also "rotate".  When you've done all that, you have a
sort of spiraling of colours in a set of concentric circles.  Now apply a
"twist" to the whole image, so that the whole thing is *also* twirled.

Finally, instead of using red, green, blue as the colours, use red, dark
red, green when doing the colour cycling.

>From the original colour tunnel effect, there's only a couple of bytes
difference (the colours shown, the speed they're changed).  They are both
displaying a single static image in exactly the same way.  They use,
essentially, the statick full screen Interleaved ChronoColour (TM)
technology for which I'm pretty sure I've already posted the source code -
with very minor additions.

Cheers