Re: [stella] Boulderdash - musings and screen demos

Subject: Re: [stella] Boulderdash - musings and screen demos
From: "Ronald A. Laski, Jr." <rlaski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 03:07:05 -0600
I probably shouldn't open my mouth here.. but.. why not an engine that draws ALL dirt? and store what's not dirt in ram? (including empty spaces)

Ron
(and of course, you unpack and draw the 'not dirt' stuff on the fly and add to that data while the player moves)
just a thought :)

At 06:18 PM 4/3/2003 +1000, you wrote:
> 00 - Blank
> 01 - Dirt
> 10 - Boulder
> 11 - Diamond

There are about 10 different thingies.  Butterflies, wall type 1,
surrounding wall, etc...

I've had a brief examination of your suggestion - the problem is that there
are very large screen areas in Boulderdash - I imagine we're probably
looking at a 64 x 64 playfield.  Thomas and I have had some discussions on
this, and storing the PF as seperately packed 'planes' using some sort of
RLE compression *might* be feasible.  That is, pack only the dirt (using,
perhaps, a compression generally better suited to lots of solid and little
gaps - and, thinking on the fly, here... wherever there's a wall, mark it as
dirt TOO - so that we get better RLE efficiency)... in one plane, and the
diamonds in aoother, etc.  It would be a major pain to modify on the fly,
but possibly the only way to get large playfields into RAM.

I'm thinking, though, of designing the display system first and *then*
worrying about the compression.  Basically I really want to start a
cartridge standard which provides bankswitching and extra RAM (say, 1 or
2K).  That would *really* open up the doors to interesting programs.

I might work on a scrolling Interleaved ChronoColour playfield, just as a
bit of fun and yet another proof of concept.

Cheers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/