Re: [stella] Game developers input wanted for 7800 Ram Cart

Subject: Re: [stella] Game developers input wanted for 7800 Ram Cart
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 11:34:41 -0400
I'm not taking into consideration the feasability or possibility of any of these. Indeed I don't have a lot of input to offer on how to implement these ideas. I realise I'm probably suggesting the impossible. And some of these would be as usefull to a player as a developer. What the hell...

- Ability to switch between the NTSC/PAL/SECAM pallette.
- A "pop-up window" that displays the number of scanlines being generated as the game is running.
- A watch function that puts up a "pop-up window" that displays the value(s) of one or more registers/RAM locations (as selected by the user) while a game is running.
- Toggle hardware collision detection on and off.
- Isolate left/right sound channel (ie: Turn on/off V0, V1 or both).
- Something like Hackomatic, allowing you to visually search through a ROM looking for (sprite) bitmaps and modify them.
- High Score save (This would require considerable effort since it means figuring out how various ROMs save their score, but once we do that it becomes pretty straightforeward. Almost certainly just a list for each game of RAM locations which need to be saved/restored. This information could be saved in one of the PC files used to config the MMC and then updated as new games are added to the list. Like MAME's cheat.dat).

- Game Genie type functionality so players can easily enter cheat codes. Something as simple as ABCDXYEF where ABCD=$address XY=Value and EF=A+B+C+D+X+Y (checksum).

Chris...