[stella] DASM - Absolute/Zero Page addressing problems

Subject: [stella] DASM - Absolute/Zero Page addressing problems
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:12:54 -0400
Is there any way (ie: a switch) to make DASM assemble an instruction like:

LDA $0081

Properly without having to add a .w? So I mean a permanent fix (like a command line switch?).

As it stands,

LDA $0081

will actually be assembled as:

LDA $81

Unless you explicitly tell DASM otherwise as:

LDA.w $0081

The reason this is a problem is that is you disassemble something (Distella) that uses this kind of addressing (generally for timing purposes in the kernal), you'll need to go in and edit the source by hand to fix the problem introduced by DASM. Not a huge deal, but a bit of a pain.

If there's not already some mechanism to handle this (docs don't indicate anything), then Andrew could you please add this to your DASM to do list?

I'll also take a moment to mention that DASM doesn't handle:

LDA $81,y

Properly either. The above will actually be assembled as:

LDA $0081,y

When it SHOULD be an error - There's no such thing as "LDA zeropage,y"

Thanks!

Chris...

- I would understand if something like LDA $0081 generated a warning, but, it should assemble as written and definately NOT ASSUME the programmer mean't to use zero page when absolute is written.