Re: [stella] new project; fpga2600

Subject: Re: [stella] new project; fpga2600
From: Carlos Lopez <carlosflr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:22:24 -0700 (PDT)
--- ecwilkso@xxxxxxx wrote:
> That's great, except this isn't a hardware project.
> It's a *SOFTWARE* project.
> Be careful!  :)

I won't discuss the limits among software, firmware
and hardware. If you consider VHDL design software,
fine. It's a thin line these days anyway :)

> And it's not a particularly difficult one at that.
> Pretty easy in fact.  Once
> those schematics surfaced, everyone had the source
> code in their hands.  They
> only needed to capture it, grab a compiler and an
> FPGA, and the project was
> practically done for them.

It took me a year to come up with a TIA core that
covers all the little details. Not so difficult, but
neither trivial. Adam Wozniak is not the first one
trying to implement it (neither the first one who
offer me to buy my core).

> Many, MANY people here have released not only their
> executables, but also their
> source code to the public.  Even going so far as to
> release every revision and
> to document the hows and whys of each rev.  Why
> would you not do this, Carlos?

As I already mention, I'm in the middle of a
negotiation (not to sell my core, but to partnership
in the development of new products which is what I'm
interested on as an Atari fan). As part of the clauses
of the contract, I won't be allowed to release the
code in a while, since it will become property of the
company. Please don't ask more details (neither go
public with this) since I'm not supposed to talk about
that.