Re: [stella] JoustPong: maybe ditch "poorlords" wall

Subject: Re: [stella] JoustPong: maybe ditch "poorlords" wall
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 13 Jan 2004 13:43:34 -0000
> At 06:15 AM 1/12/2004, you wrote:
> >.23 pixels per frame...  or 1.56 pixels per frame.
> >Just because you program things on a frame by frame basis doesn't mean your
> >objects have to move on a frame by frame basis.  If you have a variable
> >holding the coordinate of the ball, and that variable has a fractional
> >component, then you just add ".23 pixels"  or  "1.56 pixels" to the ball
> >position... every frame... and use the integer part of the ball's coordinate
> >for the actual ball position display.
>

> It should be noted that this is complicated by the angles in which the ball
> moves.  If the angles are locked at 45', maybe it won't be that difficult,
> as there is always an equal amount of both x and y delta on each frame but
> if there are varying angles then the amount of movement per frame is
> different x vs. y depending on the angle of movement.

When the ball was moving at a fixed speed, at least, fixed angles
worked well--better than I expected, actually, since previous versions
of the game had multiple ball angles (usually a fixed X speed, with
the Y speed influenced by the speed of the paddle it hits...the troble
when I put that into this game is that the not-fine-grain-enough speed
led to too many flat (horizontal) ball paths

 "How do we stop an elephant if it goes berserk? What do we do? Do we use
  an AK-47? An M-16? An AR-15?... Frankly, would that stop an elephant?
  I really doubt it. Do they have a bazooka?" --US Senator Bob Smith