Re: [stella] Sprites - AAAAARGH!

Subject: Re: [stella] Sprites - AAAAARGH!
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 30 Jan 2004 21:06:28 -0000

> > Does this code assume that when it's called as a subroutine
> > Accumulator is set to the position, and X is 0 or 1 based on
> > which player you're trying to move, or what?
>
> Yup! And you can also position both missiles and the ball with that.

Are they contiguous in memory, then, that you just keep incrementing X?

> > In short, what
> > are the preconditions for this routine, and/or does it involve
> > something w/ the stack?
>
> a contains x-position (0..159)
> x contains object index (0..4)

Guess so!

> And there is an important *post*condition. After all objects have been
> *coarse* positioned you have to do this once:
>
>   sta WSYNC
>   sta HMOVE

ah, right. That should definately be mentioned.
Also, it's important to note that it gobbles one WSYNC per object,
plus one more for the bunch.

> And if you store all x-positions in consecutive RAM locations, you can
> make this a loop (without any JSR) too.

Heh.

Are there any caveats with this, illegal-OPcodes or anything,
or does it work as well as the more conservative math-centric
version I posted to the list?

Of course, my REAL challenge is getting back into 16 bit math
and making sure I take care of the carry bit and all that...
I'm a little bit frightened, because every time I even tried
to do a simple 8-bit numerical comparison "from scratch", it
never worked and I always had to go back to cut and paste
previous code...my understanding of what registers to clear when
is fuzzy to say the least :-(

 "Sometimes your shallowness is so thorough, it's almost like depth."--Daria