Re: [stella] more exciting that even that! WAS: JoustPong: more exciting than ever!

Subject: Re: [stella] more exciting that even that! WAS: JoustPong: more exciting than ever!
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 26 Feb 2004 20:23:05 -0000
I haven't had the chance to dig into the code yet but, Paul,
you're amazing.  Over the course of its life, JoustPong has had
many "step-fathers" but right now your kernal is just magic.

I'll look into finishing off the todo and going into some kind
of beta maybe even this weekend.

Re: the difficulty of the computer.  Maybe then I should make it
an option?  Part of the trouble is UI: I think historically,
atari games haven't been good at using the difficulty switches:
although looking at my 4 switcher, I can just barely see
A=Expert B=Normal or whatever, usually there's no onscreen display
that makes it clear which mode it's on.  (And the difference between
the current computer player and the previous iteration is huuuge-
with fast joustpong the computer eas decent and tough, with slow
justpong, the computer was nearly godlike, and with slow joustpong
plus the limiter, the computer is decidedly mediocre...)
I don't know if there is a good way of indicating this on the
screen, with the switches. Should it be a select-switch option?
What's the icon for "tough ass opponent"?  Or do I just have to
give in and call the normal opponent the teady bear mode?

> Okay got the players different colors and made them touch the
> ground.  Still got 7 cycles free in case you want to do something
> else.  Could change the playfield colors with X which might look kinda neat.
>
> Right now I have the playfield "score" mode on.  I think it looks kinda
> nice, but it also looks nice with the regular colors.  I made constants for
> the colors up at the top so you can experiment with them easily.
>
> I kinda miss the hard computer player.  I think this one is too
> easy.  Once, I started a one player game and didn't touch the controller,
> but still won!

"And isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?  I mean all you get
 is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh
 oooh oooh, the sky is the limit!" --The Tick