Re: [stella] My New Project - RRampage.bin

Subject: Re: [stella] My New Project - RRampage.bin
From: "Erik Mooney" <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:16:22 -0500
> That's pretty awesome looking.  In the sense of being awe-inspiring.

Thanks!  Anyone want to know how it works? :)

> Theme was, the idea of a super-cranked-follow up to River Raid has
> a lot Chutzpah...I love it.

Does anyone have any idea if the concept would get me in trouble
with Activision at all?  I know they're still actively using
their 2600 intellectual properties.  Mostly what I want is
a thematic reason to have a non-black background, and River Raid
came to mind. :)

> Will enemies probably
> be limited to staying on their scanlines, so to speak?

Nope; the kernel isn't like Oystron.  The demo doesn't
illustrate it, but the enemies are fully independent vertically
as long as they don't overlap, just like Berzerk.  They can move
at any speed including upwards, or stay still. Single-scanline
display accuracy is also almost there, but requires me to solve
another problem first...

> I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to have enemy bullets
> having variable horizontal speed as well....

Yup, the kernel can do that fine, the bullets are completely
independent horizontally.  (They do need to all move at the
same speed vertically.)

The reason that isn't implemented is RAM.  I don't have any
to store the horizontal speeds, because I'm already using every
one of the 128 bytes that the 2600 has.  To make this into
any sort of game will require a cart design with additional RAM.
Al, if you've read down this far in this post ;), do you have
any cart designs that implement additional RAM?  A Superchip
design would probably be enough, but 1K or so would be
luxurious...

And before Glenn gets started, no, I'm not looking to make a
Supercharger game.  Plenty of RAM, but I want more than 6K of
ROM as well.  And stopping to play a multiload in the middle
of a shooter would really kill the game's excitement, I think.

> Anyway, pretty exciting!  I'd say it reminds me of the feel of
> Robotron in the amount of stuff, except I know it's much closer
> to shoot 'em ups that came later...

I'm most thinking of Raiden in how the gameplay will work.
(Assuming I don't get burned out on it like I did with INV long
ago; that's always a possibility.)  "River Raiden" ? :)