Re: [stella] Reflex: Online level editor

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: Online level editor
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:40:20 +0200
Lee wrote:
> Reason I need the editor is that I've built in a huffman decompression
> routine using that extra ROM I freed up by optimizing my kernel (thanks
> again guys).
>
> The decoder was fun to build and it's quite a trip seeing a full level
> render from only one byte of compressed ROM!  I definitely won't get that
> kind of compression once the huffman table gets filled in, but it was still
> cool.

Ah, finally someone who shares my passion for compression. :-)

When I did my exercise with Jammed I am afraid nobody understood
exactly what I did. Maybe you can explain your algorithm better than
I could.

> My ultimate goal with the online editor is to allow anyone to create and
> save Reflex levels along with the designer's name, and then pick 50 (or
> however many will fit) to be included in the final game.  Naturally,
> attribution will be given in whatever documentation is included with the
> game.

Cool idea, though the playfield is a bit limited now. Do you plan allowing
to extend it? That would cost some RAM and ROM space, but it would
allow many more variations. I don't know about your free RAM, but with
a good compressor, ROM shouldn't become a too big problem.

Have fun!
Thomas
Thomas Jentzsch         | *** Every bit is sacred ! ***
tjentzsch at web dot de |
Aufnehmen, abschicken, nah sein - So einfach ist
WEB.DE Video-Mail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021200