Re: [stella] Games using unofficial opcodes

Subject: Re: [stella] Games using unofficial opcodes
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:25:20 -0400
Fred Quimby wrote:
> Also interesting is some apocryphal talk about opcode $12.  I found
> references to this jokingly called "HCF" meaning Hold and Catch Fire.
> Supposedly this opcode was used for chip testing.  The references state that
> this halts the machine, and cycles through all addresses $0-$FFFF and
> repeats infinitely.  But this operation is reportedly very intensive, such
> that if it is run like this for a few hours, the chip will supposedly get
> hot and possibly start to smoke...

I remember similar rumors from that time. E.g. a copy protection which
could enable all bits in the memory, causing a "short-circuit" which
would break your computer.

I am pretty sure those where all myths to prevent ignorant kids from
illegally copying software. Didn't work. :-)

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |