RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available
From: "Fred Quimby" <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:58:39 -0400
>So basically you are randomizing the whole RAM and TIA registers with that
>code
>repeated multiple times, right?

Clearing random bits by ANDing with random values, to be exact.

>How about randomizing the other registers (e.g. timers) and the registers
>(including PC) too. Did you try that too?

I did try messing with the 6502 registers.  Randomizing the PC or SP often
just crashed the system.  Scrambling A, X, Y, and flags by themselves
sometimes did interesting things but weren't good at replicating known
behaviors.  I didn't try this together with clearing random bits, nor did I
mess with the timers.

My code isn't the final word for frying - there's certainly room for
improvement since I wasn't able to replicate all known effects, and frankly,
I still don't know what causes the effects from frying or why clearing
random bits seems to replicate some effects.  With the debugger, maybe more
will be found about this, and maybe someone will discover some of these
things.