[xsl] Latest XSLTMark benchmark

Subject: [xsl] Latest XSLTMark benchmark
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:52:22 +0100
A new set of results for the XSLTMark benchmark has been published at
 http://www.datapower.com/XSLTMark/res_2001_03_28.html#ChartOverall

The benchmarking methodology is to compile the stylesheet, and then run it a
large number of times over the same source document, averaging the results.

I have taken a look at some of the drivers for different XSLT processors.

As far as I can see the drivers for Oracle, MSXML, and Sun XSLTC parse and
load the source document once, and then transform it many times from the
same in-memory tree, while the drivers for xt, Saxon, and Xalan parse the
source document and build the tree each time round the loop.

Since parsing and building the tree account for a significant proportion of
the transformation time, this would significantly skew the results.

Are my suspicions correct?

(Even if this is corrected, the methodology is flawed, because a processor
could legitimately cache the results of parsing the document in memory,
unknown to the driver. Ideally the source file should be trivially modified
between each iteration to prevent this).

Michael Kay
Software AG