Re: [xsl] quick table layout problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] quick table layout problem
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:47:51 GMT
> what xpath expression will match the first <e>, without using //

match="e"

If you mean match, if you mean select then something like

(/a/b[3]/c/d/e)[1]

> As a point of interest, what kind of performance hit does using // give?
If used with [1] as in (//e)[1] then probably not much, in either case
the system will stop once it comes to the first e, but if you compare
/a/b/c/d/e
and //e
then the first will only need to search teh document to a fixed depth
to look for e's whereas //e will always have to search the entire
document. You may know that a ,z> element never has any e descendents,
but the system doesn't and so will have to look everywhere 9including
inside e elements) to check for e children On big documents that can be
quite a hit.

In your table example you know I think that entry are always two levels
down from table so table/*/*/entry is likely to be a lot nicer to the
system than table//entry.

David