Re: [xsl] xsl can't get graphic to load from xml file

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl can't get graphic to load from xml file
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:58:46 -0500
> Remember, XSLT and XSL-FO are different specs (although they are
>  XSL) and many people use one without the other.  I'd recommend
>  again that you try to separate out when you're using xslt to
>  produce an xsl-fo document and when you are using the xsl-fo
>  document to create another document.  They are two different
>  processes.  I find that it helps the learning process if you
>  keep them separate.  Otherwise it can get too confusing.

An excellent point, Jon. One of the troubles with FOP is that it can be
invoked with both the XML file and the XSL file to produce PDF (and other
things). That's fine as a convenience for the seasoned user, but it can
confuse novices. The novices can get the mistaken impression that XML +
XSL => PDF, when the truth is that XML + XSL => FO, and FO + FO Processor
(such as FOP) => PDF. In FOP's case, the FO is held in memory and then
turned into PDF, but it definitely exists during the process and much good
debugging can be done by creating the actual FO file. To do that, use
Xalan (the XSL processor included with FOP):

xalan -in mydoc.xml -xsl myxsl.xsl -out out.fo

If you need to use XSL Formatting Objects, you really need to get
comfortable with FO files.

(Apologies to the list for focusing on a single tool that much.)

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services