RE: html to dsssl ?

Subject: RE: html to dsssl ?
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:32:01 +0000 (GMT)
Didier PH Martin writes:
 > a) I create a DSSSL style sheet with common DSSSL constructs
 > b) Include in the Talva SGML/XML kit the command line for this script but
 > with a small plus "t- pdf"
 > c) In the Document Explorer I just then click on the document icon - and the
 > next thing that I see is the document transformed into PDF and displayed.
 > Now, I can check if I got the right formatting.
 >
 > What new in the process I described? Nothing except ease of use. This is
 > what is lacking now with the Tex backend.

what formats the document in your Talva example, out of interest?

 > If only the actual JadeTex generated code could be interpreted with the IBM
 > plug-in, we would have the same ease of use.

techexplorer, you mean? better talk to the IBM guys. But since they
process high-level LaTeX only, thats a whole different ball game. And
their formatting is pretty rudimentary

 > a) create the DSSSL script and (for example) include a style-sheet
 > processing instruction in the XML document such as: `<?xml-stylesheet
 > type="text/dsssl" href="myscript.dsl" media="screen,tex"?> (note the media
 > attribute)

the quality you would get would be little better than HTML printing

 > did my part. But I am also interested by DSSSL-2 so I choose my camp. Also,
 > because XSL will be mostly what Microsoft and AOL will decide it will be :-)

well, maybe you'll see me back in DSSSLworld then...

Sebastian