RE: (commercial) applications using DSSSL

Subject: RE: (commercial) applications using DSSSL
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:27:20 -0400
Hi Ron,

Ron said:
I had also thought about this recently. I think the GUI, at least in its
first try, shouldn't bother about actually writing the stylesheet. The
GUI will mostly serve to help uninitiated users throughout an
organization to access the processing tools already put in place. This
GUI's basic function would simply be to construct the command line for
(Open)Jade and documents... though this could include features that
would be just as convenient for users of any level of expertise;

Didier says:
Here is what I am preparing for the Talva SGML/XML kit for Win32. As you
know, this latter is a value added package on top of OpenJade for Windows.
Adam, can tell you more what they have in mind for the debian releases
because the Debian includes an other value added package on top of OpenJade.

The OpenJade front-end takes the form of a Shell expansion dll. Concretely,
this means that OpenJade becomes embedded in the shell. In its first
version, this tool will allow you to set a command line (with a dialog,
check boxes, browsing tools, etc...) to a particular DocType. You associate
a set of parameters to a doctype (the doctype being referred with the
element name and not its URN). If you want to process a SGML or XML file or
a set of XL /SGML files, it is or they are processed with this doctype/style
parameters association. For example, to process a set of files, it suffice
to just select them with the mouse, then get the context menu (with the
right mouse button), select the "process" menu option and the document
collection gets processed even if they are not of the same doctype. The
component, recognize if it is a SGML or XML document and set automatically
the parsing options (XML document validation is set only if a doctype is
present, otherwise the parsing is done without any doctype validation).
Thus, a XML document without a doctype, a dcl file or a catalog could be
easily processed. For SGML documents, a default catalog and dcl file is used
if not overwritten by a catalog entry, etc...So, this component work as
follow:
a) you enter the OpenJade processor command line parameters with a dialog,
These are kept for a particular doctype. The doctype is pattern match
against the first element present in the document (this is not exactly and
necessarily the doctype but we found useful to associate a script to the
first element in the document that contains all the others.
b) to process a group of SGML/XML files you just select them and with the
context menu select "process". It then ask you (with a dialog box) where all
the transformed files are to be stored.

I'll post very soon a document explaining this.

For the other features you mentioned I took notes of them and many thanks
for your suggestions.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx