Re: (commercial) applications using DSSSL

Subject: Re: (commercial) applications using DSSSL
From: "Steffen Heinrich" <heinrich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:26:46 +0100
> From: Ron Ross <ronross@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: (commercial) applications using DSSSL
> This GUI would (not in definitive order):
>
>    1. Provide input fields (text boxes, browse buttons, drop-down menus,
>       etc.) for the processing script, the document instance(s), ouput
>       format, output name and directory, variable and other options.
>
>    2. Read the supplied stylesheet for any defined variables, then list
>       them in a drop-down list (or something:-) whith an adjacent field
>       where the user could enter values or simply click an on-off switch
>       (#t, #f). Of immeasurable use here would be some way of generating
>       appropriate documentation for each of the variables, (is there
>       anything remotely analogous to the "self-documenting" features of
>       Elisp? Otherwise, the program could tie-in with a method of
>       documentation such as Norman used in the DocBook stylesheet), as
>       well as document the other options.
>
>    3. Report some possible errors: inappropriate parameters, wrong
>       stylesheet for the type of output, etc.; and forsee some of the
>       errors Jade is going to encounter in processing the script and the
>       document instance. Again such error messages could be accompanied
>       with documentation or references to specs, manuals, Help files,
>       etc.
>
>    4. Eventually, provide (in an "Advanced" section?) means for editing,
>       querying, and debugging the stylesheet directly.

Hello Ron!

Part of what is on your mind can be obtained by employment of the
tcl/tk package 'Poor MAn's DSSSL Environment' (or 'Pomade').
Pomade has been anounced on this list by it's author Andreas Saremba
a couple of months ago and is still available from it's former
origin.
(I just looked it up)

Regards, Steffen

citing from Andrea's former posting:
>As you might guess from Pomade's full name, "Poor Man's DSSSL
>Environment", it is freeware. Use it and have fun, but be warned
>that it hasn't been tested by anybody except me.
>
>I have attached the (draft) documentation with the images omitted.
>The package itself is small, less than 90 KB compressed (most of the
>size comes from the gif images of the documentation). You find
>Pomade at
>
>http://home.t-online.de/home/andreas.saremba/pomade.zip
>or
>http://home.t-online.de/home/andreas.saremba/pomade.tar.gz
>
>The zip file doesn't contain the directory name, so create a
>directory first to unpack it there.
>
>Whether you are enthusiastic or furious, I would like to hear your
>comments if you give it a try.
>
>Andreas

---------
steffen heinrich, berlin, germany
"When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And DSSSL helps things turn out for the best..."
(Monty Python overheard)