Re: Jade and TeX

Subject: Re: Jade and TeX
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:10:52 +0100 (BST)
Paul Prescod writes:
 > Does the TeX backend allow the inclusion of TeX formulae in a manner
 > that will not interfere with the TeX code created by the backend? I
 > would like to start moving my LaTeX documents into it and would rather
 > not recode the formulae. I could use formatting-instruction, but is
 > there some "safe wrapper code" that I should wrap them in, or just
 > include them as is?

So far as my implementation of the backend TeX macros is concerned,
all bets are off if you insert random LaTeX into the output. I have
taken no care to protect macros at all, or worry about grouping.
On the other hand, why not, if it works? Can you try it and see?

but consider this, anyway: how is it supposed to work? in the original
LaTeX you have:

 \begin {equation}\label{foo}
 a = b =c
 \end{equation}
 See equation \ref{foo}

Left to itself, LaTeX will number this equation, so what will you
preserve? if you make them unnumbered equations, and expect DSSSL to
number the thing, what TeX code will you embed? how will hypertext
output perform the link between the `external' reference, and the
innards of the TeX quote?

what about font families? packages that you need?

I could talk about this _ad nauseam_ but I'd be interested in hearing
what other people think about the principle, and the applications.

Sebastian