Re: Jade for HTML

Subject: Re: Jade for HTML
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:21:43 -0400
David Megginson wrote:
> Yes, it is.  I have done similar work in the past with SGMLSpm,
> generating a website of over 1,000 heavily cross-referenced HTML pages
> from a single SGML source.  Because it is side-effect free, Jade does
> not allow you to keep information in auxiliary files like SGMLSpm
> does, but since Jade has the whole parsed grove in memory anyway (and
> as of Jade 0.7 you can walk through it with the `node-property'
> primitive), there is hardly any need for auxiliary files anyway.

Let's say that in my old HTML-backend based DSSSL script I did this:

(make link: (destination (first-sibling (parent (ipreced (parent
(current-node)))))))

as a ridiculously extreme example. In the HTML backend, Jade kept track
of the fact that that other node was referenced, and output an <A
NAME="FOOBAR"> there. I don't believe that I can do that in the SGML
backend, though. There is no way to "keep track" of anything. The only
solution would be to output IDs for everything, or else restrict these
kinds of "arbitrary" destination links. I think that this latter will be
possible, but it may restrict some of the things I do.

 Paul Prescod