Re: Jade for HTML

Subject: Re: Jade for HTML
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 05:39:22 -0700
At 22:10 97/04/21 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
>Is the Jade SGML transformation engine appropriate for multiple document
>HTML websites?

I think it is going to be ideal!

>It may well be Jade's "killer app" in the sense that
>with a powerful library of functions it could make generating large
>websites easy.

I agree!

>I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get the SGML
>one to do multiple output files and hyperlinks between files.

I'm sure that you are, given what you have already posted to this group.

The shape of the solution in my mind's eye is waiting to be expressed until
after I deliver the DSSSL training course for SGML-U Thursday/Friday this
week in Boston (BTW, there are still seats available for the course
"Practical DSSSL Formatting Using JADE"), but I'm confident that the tool
James has given us will do the trick ... I'm planning on expressing my
entire web site in a single instance and using JADE to emit the website ...
I guess it will be egg on my face if I discover it cannot be done, but I
think everything we need is there.

I'm planning to hardcode <A> elements that are external to the website and
custom code <intA> elements that are internal to the website ... with the
engine producing the required <A> element for the output of the "internal"
reference.  That, combined with container elements identifying the system
identifier of where to store the contained file should do the trick.  This
has the added benefit of me defining a "letter head" once and re-using it
on every page, or simultaneously producing both "frames" and "noframes"
parallel sites with the one input instance, or .....

I think it is the only way to go (and I have the luxury (!) of starting a
website from scratch).

I'm using JADE to produce multiple HTML presentation slides for my training
course from a single SGML instance, as well as the hard-copy output in
multiple layouts.

>If it
>isn't possible or easy I will go back to the HTML one.

I think you'll find it is both.  I'll post the results of my discoveries in
a few weeks when I get some "spare time" (HA!).

--
G. Ken Holman            mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com