Re: XS: Guidelines for the discussion

Subject: Re: XS: Guidelines for the discussion
From: lex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Alex Milowski)
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 21:50:29 -0500 (CDT)
Paul Prescod wrote:

> Alex Milowski wrote:
> > Well, the descrition of the transformation language in the ISO
> > standard is rather terse.  I would love to be able to deliver client
> > side transformation applications and that is why I brought it up.
> > I understand that *expecting* a major browser vendor to implement it
> > is a long shot but *if* we standardize it we have a better chance.  In
> > addition, in the SGML community, we have an additional way to interchange
> > SGML applications over the web.
>
> Well, the transformation language exists: what would be changed for a
> Web version? It doesn't seem very dependant on media.

Well, the three things that come to mind are:

   * association of transformations (note the plural) with documents,
   * association of transformation/document pairs with user
     semantics (e.g. "Summary version"), and
   * location of ancillary documents in a multiple document transformation--
     web-oriented entity management.