Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?

Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:38:28 +0100 (BST)
Frank Christoph writes:
 > John Fieber's outline is an excellent place to start.  I would also like
 > to see some subject-oriented (as opposed to task-oriented) explications
 > of parts of the standard, i.e., answers to the question, "Why is this here?
 > What is the point of this?"  For example, what is the point of:

yes,  i like the idea of a worked essay on `why i use processing modes'

 > And, of course, lots of examples.  I saw a book on TeX once, where all the
 > left pages were TeX code, and all the right pages were the
 > formatted results.

Arvind Borde's TeX By Example? its a dangerous approach, unless
accompanied by serious indexing, in my view.

I finished working late last year on
<blow own trumpet>The LaTeX Graphics Companion (Addison Wesley 1997)
</blow own trumpet>, and we crucified ourselves to index every single
command in every example, but i think the result is worth it.

The fastest way to proceed might well be a sort of FAQ, a set of
extended essays with examples. if those are written consistently
(against what DTD....), then they can be built up and indexed.

sebastian