Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?

Subject: Re: DSSSL Documentation Project?
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 15:20:33 -0400 (EDT)
At 10 Jun 1997 13:38 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
 > The fastest way to proceed might well be a sort of FAQ, a set of
 > extended essays with examples. if those are written consistently
 > (against what DTD....), then they can be built up and indexed.

Would you care to make an outline of the sections of a FAQ?

As for the DTD, sometimes I think DocBook and sometimes I think of
using HTML 3.2 for now just to get some tagged text.

DocBook has glossary, index term, and index elements, but
out-of-the-box it doesn't have a slot for putting an author's name on,
for example, individual glossary entries.

With HTML 3.2, we could settle on the granularity of individual HTML
documents and settle on some common uses of <meta> for the author's
name, etc., so we can quickly produce some text and quickly show some
results.  HTML is unlikely to be the long term choice, but at least it
has tags, and tagged text can be very rubbery stuff so it shouldn't be
too difficult to do a one-time transformation from the temporary HTML
markup into whatever markup we finalise on.  I don't really want a
temporary solution, but I do want something that shows this process
can work.

Then there's the slight issue of coordination and collation.  50 FAQ
submissions on where to find the DSSSList archive would be flattering
but not nearly as useful as 50 submissions on 50 different subjects.

Regards,

Tony Graham