Re: Paragraph breaks

Subject: Re: Paragraph breaks
From: Duncan Hothersall <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:32:55 +0100
I'm new to this list, and work predominantly with Omnimark and TeX, but I
recognise a problem that I've faced before -

>If two, indentical index terms occur on the same page, any code
>that generates an index will be bound to produce the page number
>twice:
>
>  foo, 3, 5, 5, 8
>
>There's no way for the DSSSL code to know that both references
>occur on the same page.

Furthermore, if you have any page spans in your index, e.g.

foo, 8-10

then there's no way to know if it has actually ended up as

foo, 8-8

which should be made into

foo, 8

My solution was a multiple pass operation but I certainly don't know enough
of DSSSL to know whether that is relevant.

Duncan.

Duncan Hothersall             Phone:    +44  (0)131 451 3093
Edinburgh Business School     Fax:      +44  (0)131 451 3002
Heriot-Watt University        Email:  mailto:dh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, UK       URL:   http://www.ebs.hw.ac.uk