Re: Architecture-based Processing with DSSSL and Jade

Subject: Re: Architecture-based Processing with DSSSL and Jade
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 11:29:16 +0700
W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

> 1. Short of putting it on top of something like TechnoTeacher's GroveMinder,
> what would it take to get Jade to provide access to both the client
> document's grove and the architectural groves derived from it?

At the moment the GroveBuilder knows nothing about architectures.  You
would have to hack it to be able to build architecture groves along with
document groves together with the information that connects them.
Nothing conceptually difficult, just a SMOP.

> 2. Are there clever things that can be done to re-use construction rules
> for architectural forms from the rules for client element types? What I
> think I want is a way to say "if there's no better rule for this element
> type, the use the construction rule for the form its derived from in
> architecture X".  I know I can do that by making the guts of the
> architectural construction rules into functions and then using a default
> rule to do the selection, but I was hoping there was a way I could do it
> without having to make the architecture's DSSSL spec that indirect.

In the long term it would be nice to have direct support in DSSSL for
architectures. I would like to be able to say something like:

(declare-arc isogen "-//ISOGEN ...")

(arc-element isogen para
  (make paragraph))

This rule would then automatically match any element that was an
instance of the para element form in the "-//ISOGEN ..." architecture.

James