Re: SGML declaration with Jade

Subject: Re: SGML declaration with Jade
From: Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:42:05 -0700
> Adding the SGMLDECL line to a catalog, my docbook document can be parsed
> with nsgmls without any error message.
>
> Using jade1.0 and the db070.dsl style-sheet, I get the error messages I
> would get if I parse the document without making reference to the
> SGMLDECL. Adding the SGMLDECL line in the current directory before
> runing Jade induce more error messages that without the SGMLDECL.
>
> Is anybody know how to deal with SGML declarations with Jade ?

Yes, but you have to use DTDDECL and associate the decls with public
identifiers.  Jade seems to use SGMLDECL in favor of DTDDECL (if both
apply) even if DTDDECL occurs in a catalog earlier in the path. This
creates real havoc, but I haven't gone to read the SGML Open document
to see if this is expected behavior.

Here's a snippet of (one of) my catalog files:

DTDDECL "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Flow Object Tree//EN" "Jade/jade.dcl"
DTDDECL "ISO/IEC 10179:1996//DTD DSSSL Architecture//EN" "Jade/jade.dcl"
DTDDECL "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN"      "Jade/jade.dcl"

DTDDECL "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN" "Davenport/decls/3.0/docbook.dcl"

and this works for me.

--norm