Re: DSSSL capabilities - was RE: TOC problem with HTML32 dsssl

Subject: Re: DSSSL capabilities - was RE: TOC problem with HTML32 dsssl
From: Dave Love <d.love@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Oct 1997 17:27:14 +0100
>>>>> "Henry" == Henry S Thompson <ht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Henry> at the glyph level by treating your contractions as ligatures
 Henry> (but Jade doesn't support this yet, I don't think.)

If you can express it as a ligature problem it should yield to the TeX
backend with a suitable font.  It sounds like the sort of thing that
should exist, but isn't apparent in the archive.  Sebastian?

 Paul> Finally, DSSSL proper has an optional "regex" feature that
 Paul> would allow you to do these kinds search and replaces. I don't
 Paul> know when or if Jade will support it

If necessary, one could presumably get similar functionality
strightforwardly in the expression language with the standard sort of
parser-building functions.  _Efficient_ regexps would be a different
matter.  I agree this is really a job for the backend or thereafter.

 Paul> I would suggest that the simplest thing for you to do is use
 Paul> Python, Perl or Awk on the output of Jade.

or, tastefully, in an appropriate Scheme system.