"Progression direction"

Subject: "Progression direction"
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 14:54:29 -0400
I'm a bit confused about this term.  As an example, the prose for
"cell-row-alignment:" in 12.6.27.6 says,

   cell-row-alignment: is one of the symbols start, end, or center
   specifying the alignment of the cell in the row-progression
   direction.  The initial value is start.

Does "row-progression direction" mean the direction in which the
addition of rows progresses (i.e., down), or the direction in which
the content of rows progresses (i.e., right)?  In other words, for
HTML, should I be looking at the align or valign attribute for this
characteristic?

Thanks,
Chris