Re: page-number-restart? causes blank page?

Subject: Re: page-number-restart? causes blank page?
From: Stephen Perkins <stephenp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 13:32:56 -0500
Norman Walsh wrote:

> Um, no one made any comment about this.  I'm hoping it's because
> everyone figured someone else would ;-).  If not, I'll never
> mention it again... ;-)

I was unable to duplicate this behavior. I don't think it has anything
to do with Word--if it shows you two pages in the print preview, that's
what goes into the print file. Using PostScript print drivers here
produced only two pages, as in the preview.

> Norman Walsh <norm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Can anyone reproduce and/or explain the following behavior?  If
> > I set page-number-restart? to #t on a simple-page-sequence, Word
> > outputs a blank page on my OfficeJet printer.  I'm pretty sure
> > it's not an attempt to get to a new recto page.  And the blank
> > pages don't show up in a print preview.  Can I "fix" this?
> >
> > Here's a sample document and stylesheet:
> >
> > <!doctype book [
> > <!element book - - (chapter+)>
> > <!element chapter - - (title,para)>
> > <!element title - - (#pcdata)>
> > <!element para - - (#pcdata)>
> > ]>
> > <book>
> > <para>
> > This is chapter 1.
> > </para>
> > </chapter>
> > <para>
> > This is chapter 2.
> > </para>
> > </chapter>
> > </book>
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN">

> > (declare-characteristic page-number-restart?
> >    "UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Characteristic::page-number-restart?" #f)
> >
> > (declare-initial-value left-margin    1in)
> > (declare-initial-value right-margin   1in)
> > (declare-initial-value top-margin     1in)
> > (declare-initial-value bottom-margin  1in)
> > (declare-initial-value header-margin  0.5in)
> > (declare-initial-value footer-margin  0.5in)
> >
> > (declare-initial-value page-width       8.5in)
> > (declare-initial-value page-height    11in)
> >
> > (element book (process-children))
> >
> > (element chapter
> >   (make simple-page-sequence
> >     page-number-restart?: #t
> >     (process-children)))
> >
> > (element title
> >   (make paragraph
> >     font-size: 14pt
> >     font-weight: 'bold
> >     (process-children)))
> >
> > (element para
> >   (make paragraph
> >     (process-children)))

Stephen Perkins
Pagesetters Incorporated / AlphaBytes MCL
e-mail: stephenp@xxxxxxxxx